Image
     Trimble Academy was built on one acre of land about two miles east of Trimble on Mason Hall Road in 1884.   It burned in 1885.  It was aledged to have been burned by patrons of Trimble's saloons as the law stated that liquor could not be sold within four or five miles of a school.  School was held in the Baptist Church until the school was rebuilt in 1886. It was a large one-room frame building with a single plank walk leading to it erected on a lot donated by Jesse Pierce in 1886 one-half mile east of town. 
Image
     In 1898 a wing was added.  Professor Meadows, who was also a Methodist preacher, was the first teacher.  Prior to this time Miss Betty McMillon taught a private school in her home for several years.  In 1903, the first diploma was awarded to Willie Pierce (Sullivan).
 
First Trimble High Diploma
First Trimble High Diploma
    The first diploma from Trimble High School was awarded to Willie Kathleen Pierce January 16, 1903.
 In 1904 a two-story brick school with four rooms was built on four acres donated by Eva and Will Parks east of Mengel R
In 1904 a two-story brick school with four rooms was built on four acres donated by Eva and Will Parks east of Mengel Road (now known as College Street) between Pierce and Mitchell Streets for grades one through eleven
 
Trimble School   1910
Trimble School 1910
1909 - 1910 Faculty - Top: Riley M. Grills, Mrs. M. A. Gauldin     Bottom: Miss Vella B. Hollomon, Miss Maude Keathley
1909 - 1910 Faculty - Top: Riley M. Grills, Mrs. M. A. Gauldin Bottom: Miss Vella B. Hollomon, Miss Maude Keathley Not shown: Miss Mollie Pierce
 
    Quoting from the 1910 Trimble High School catalog, "We have a nice, large two-story brick building which, including equipment, cost nearly eight thousand dollars.  The first floor is divided into four recitation rooms -- two on each side of a large hallway running north and south.  Just inside the front entrance are two cloak rooms from which the stairways lead to the auditorium above.  This is a spacious hall elegantly seated with nice, modern, opera chairs and will comfortably seat 500 people."  Professor R. M. Grills was the first principal.  A few years later, he held the position of Dyer County Superintendent of Schools at the same time. 
    Through Professor Grills ernest efforts, a high school building was added to the south end in 1914.  A study hall in which the girls were seated on the east side and the boys on the west side occupied the entire ground floor.  On the second floor were four classrooms used by Professor Grills, M. E. Whitson. U. S. Ross and Mrs. Luna Gauldin.  Before this new addition was completed, a third story was added for the home economics classes taught by Miss Mary Dahanke.
     Although no one graduated at the end of the year, there were five graduates in the class of 1915 -- Verney Boyette, Cloye (Bud) Fisher, Damon Headden, Kelly Headden and O.K. Smith.  Basketball was played on an outdoor court. 
     In 1919 another wing was begun on the east side of the original school, facing north toward Mitchell St., and a portico was added to cover the entrances to both buildings.  The new wing had five classrooms for grades one through eight.  A gym on the second floor was added to the northeast corner in 1921.
     A news item from the Commercial Appeal dated March 27, 1921, reported: "Before a large number of Dyer County citizens, Albert Williams, superientendent of public education for Tennessee, and other education leaders of the state, Trimble's new $30,000 school addition, the gift of citizens of the county, was dedicated yesterday.  Trimble is a town of less than 1,000 people, but no town of its size in West Tennessee has made more rapid strides along educational lines in the past few years."
Trimble School   1904 - 1934
Trimble School 1904 - 1934

 The building burned in the summer of 1934.  For the next two years classes were held downtown in the McDavid Hardware a
The building burned in the summer of 1934. For the next two years classes were held downtown in the McDavid Hardware and above the drug store.
 
Image

     A new building atop a rolling hill to the south of the old grounds was completed and ready for occupation in the fall of 1936.  The first graduation exercises were in the Baptist Church since the auditorium and gym were not completed until the fall of 1937.  
     Two rooms were added to the east end of the auditorium in 1939 for the newly established agricultural department taught by Howard Pierce.  After World War II, Hamilton Parks taught GI's farming for seven years.  
      A cafeteria, a kitchen, a science classroom were constructed beneath the auditorium.  
      A study hall, a library and four high school classrooms were added in a wing to the north end of the school building in 1950 when an additional 8 acres were purchased.  
     The Trimble had its own school system operated by the Trimble Board of Education until the school became a part of the Dyer County School System in 1968.  The high school was transferred to the new Dyer County High School near Newbern in the fall of 1972 where upon Trimble School became a K-8 school. Approximately 1108 students received diplomas during the period from 1915 - 1972. 
     Beginning in 1915, twelve years of schooling were required, and this year was apparently adopted as the "start" of alumni records.  Tennessee Department of Education began keeping records in 1918.  
     Trimble School remained a K - 8 school until 2003 when it became a K - 5 school.


     
     Trimble School superintendents and principals:
          Professor Meadows        first teacher - late 1800's/early 1900's
          R. M. Grills                      1908 - 1921
          M. E. Whitson                 1921 - 1936
          H. E. Smith                     1936 - 1938
          C. B. Shankle                  1938 - 1939
          H. E. Smith                     1939 - 1940
          Wilton Roberts                 1940 - 1954
          James E. McKee               1954 - 1956
          Marion Carroll                  1956 - 1977
          Kenneth Galloway            1977 - 2003
          Vicki Brewer Williams        2003 - 2010
          Cindy Hutchins                2010